From the capital to the coast, Namibia is a land of vast natural beauty and awe-inspiring contrasts. Our 2013 Summit travel information is detailed for you below to help you arrive, travel through and depart from this country located deep in southern Africa.
- Air Transport
- Getting around Namibia
- Local Transportation within Swakopmund
- Online Booking
- Travel Visa
- Guest Program
- Practical Information
South African Airways
South African Airways (SAA)is offering up to 10% off selected routes on SAA flights.
Discount: A discount of up to 10% will be applied to bookings for those who travel between October 12th and November 9th and use the promo code: NATTA13. Please keep in mind that the discount is offered off of select routes. By using the discount code, the SAA system will quote the lowest fare available. This will either be a fare discounted up to 10% or a lower fare that is better than the discounted fare.
Hint: In the first field of the form to the right, you will want to click the arrow to display a list of available countries of origin.
Promo Code: NATTA13
Air Namibia is providing registered delegates up to 30-35% off selected routes on Air Namibia flights. When booking using the online form you will need to select an Air Namibia hub as your ‘from’ location. Frankfurt, Germany is recommended as the ‘from’ hub for North American and European travelers as it is currently the most economical option. You will need to book your air to and from the Air Namibia hub separately and via another carrier.
Discount via Email or Phone: email@example.com or +1 877 496 9893. When you are working with Air Namibia directly, simply provide them the promo code noted below and tell them that you will be attending the Adventure Travel World Summit to receive the discount.
Discount via Online Form: When submitting your request via the online booking form you will have the opportunity to fill out your requested itinerary. When you hit SUBMIT this will generate a request to the Air Namibia nominated travel consultants, who will process the booking request including the 30-35% discount. The consultant will then return a booking confirmation to you and will advise you on your payment options. Please note that the online request form does not use a secure certificate, so the information submitted is not encrypted. If you have any concerns, we recommend calling to book your travel.
Promo Code: ATWS2013D
From within Africa
On Air Namibia from Johannesburg, Luanda or Accra direct to Windhoek
From Johannesburg or Cape Town in South Africa direct to Windhoek
From North America
On United to Accra, Ghana and on Air Namibia from Accra to Windhoek
On South African Airways directly from New York or Washington
On Air Namibia from Frankfurt direct to Windhoek
From South America
Through South Africa from Buenos Aires or Sao Paolo
On Qatar or Singapore Airways through South Africa
Through South Africa on South African Airways
The 2013 ATWS will take place in two cities.
- Four hour drive time from Windhoek to Swakopmund – ground transportation provided on Sunday, October 27th and returning on Friday, November 1st free of charge
- One and a half hour flight time – at your own cost
- Eros Airport (ERS) is the domestic airport in the town of Windhoek.
- Hosea Kutako International Airport (WDH) is the international airport roughly 45 minutes outside of Windhoek.
- Walvis Bay (WVV) which is 45 minutes outside Swakopmund
Online Booking - Pre-Summit Adventures, Days of Adventure & Accommodations
Namibian Tourism is providing an online booking portal to book your Pre-Summit Adventure, Days of Adventure and accommodation in both Windhoek and Swakopmund. Please note, local transportation will only be available for those booked on the Namibian Booking Portal. All ATWS delegates, who have not currently booked their accommodation, are to book directly on the portal for discounted room accommodations.
Get Started: Booking Instructions
- Review the Pre-Summit Adventures- all delegates and guests are invited
- Outbound tour operator, travel specialists and media only: Fill out the Pre-Summit Adventure application (wait to book your Pre-Summit Adventure until you are approved for additional booking directions)
- All other delegates and guests, add your Pre-Summit Adventure to the cart to pay.
- Opening Night: Add your hotel tnight to your cart for Windhoek for Saturday, October 26th, checking out on October 27th. Make sure to choose the appropriate dates.
- Two Days of Adventure: Add your Two Days of Adventure option to your cart.
- Accommodations during the Summit: Add your hotel nights to your cart in Swakopmund for Monday, October 28th checking out on November 1st. Make sure to choose the appropriate dates.
- If you have chosen Option B for the Two Days of Adventure, your accommodations in Swakopmund need to begin on October 27th.
- Proceed to checkout and pay.
Note: If you are using Internet Explorer you may experience issues with Namibia’s booking site. You may want to consider using an alternate internet browser such as Chrome or Firefox. Also, all prices listed on the site are in Namibian Dollars and are on a first come, first served basis.
Getting Around Namibia
Delegates will be traveling around Namibia by bike, foot, car, train and plane. Complimentary transportation around Namibia will be coordinated which will include:
- Airport transfers on October 25th, 26th and November 1st
- Transportation from Windhoek hotels to the Windhoek Welcome Event
- Transportation for all participants as part of the Two Days of Adventure
- Shuttles will be provided for all delegates during the Summit to and from hotels booked on the Namibian booking portal to the ATWS at the Swakopmund Hotel and Entertainment Centre.
Local Transport Around Swakopmund
Swakopmund is an easy town to walk around with excellent sidewalks and lights, however if delegates would prefer to take a taxi, there are many local, well-trained and registered taxis available.
⇑ Up to top
Every traveler must have a valid passport.The following countries will NOT need a visa to visit Namibia – however, please double check:
|Australia||Italy||Russian Federation & Former U.S.S.R|
|Finland||Macau (SAR)||United Kingdom|
|France||Malawi||United States of America|
|Hong Kong||New Zealand|
For delegates who are citizens of countries that require a Visa, the ATTA can provide you with an invitation letter to assist you in your Visa application. Registered delegates only, fill out the Visa Letter Request form. Your invitation letter will be delivered by email as a PDF file within five business days. Namibia will grant 30 day Tourist Visas for ATTA delegates.
TRANSIT VISA FOR SOUTH AFRICA
Some delegates may require a transit visa for South Africa (this is required even if you do not leave the airport). Access a list of visa-exempt countries.
If your country of citizenship is NOT on this list, you will need to obtain a visa to transit through South Africa. You can obtain one by contacting the South African embassy, mission or consulate in your home country OR you can book a flight directly to Namibia through Frankfurt.
SOLD OUT – Please note all available guests passes have been sold.
Electrical plugs are 220V and are 3 pin (round pin as opposed to square pin). Adaptors can be purchased in Windhoek and are the same as South Africa (available internationally and at most airports).
The Namibian dollar is tied permanently against the South African rand on a 1/1 basis so you are able to check the current exchange rate against your local currency. Both Namibian dollars and South African Rand are legal currencies in Namibia. You will need to bring extra money for additional expenses such as drinks, curios, additional meals and snacks, as well as any optional activities or excursions during your stay.
Tipping in Namibia is related to service. 10% is the accepted amount for dinners. While bar tenders don’t expect or are usually given any gratuity – unless of course they’ve made a particular effort, worthy of recognition.
It is recommended to tip guides N$30 & N$50 pp/d for a job well done. For hotel/general lodge staff it is appropriate to drop N$ 50 per day in the tip box that is normally held at reception.
Although yellow fever is not a disease risk in South Africa, the government requires some travelers arriving from or transiting through countries with risk of yellow fever virus transmission to present proof of yellow fever vaccination. If you will be traveling to South Africa from any country other than the United States or transiting through another country on your way from the United States, this requirement may affect you. For specific requirement details, see Yellow Fever & Malaria Information, by Country.